Home
Up
About Tower Lakes
Village Information
News
Calendar
Links
Contents / Index
Search
Feedback

Residents: Add or change your contact info here:
A Millennium Community
Check us out on LIVING60010.com

 

 

  TL Logo
Place Names
 

Place Names

The history of any town is intertwined with the stories behind it's place names. Tower Lakes is no exception.

Ever wonder where the place names on our town map came from? Some of them have changed over the years.

For instance, did you know that todayís IL Rt. 59 was not always the main road from Barrington to Wauconda? Only in relatively recent times has there been a road passing between Honey and Grassy Lakes. Early maps show the main north-south road followed a path north from Cuba Rd. along present day Old Barrington Rd. then northwest past Signal Hill, then northeast along what is now Kelsey Rd., then north along the present Gateway Dr. in Tower Lakes, then following the current Rt. 59 from Indian Trail to Wauconda. This was the case from before the Civil War until 1935. From 1854 to 1913 this was the stagecoach route carrying mail and travelers between Barrington's train station and Wauconda. The part through Tower Lakes was also part of the longer Dundee-Waukegan Rd. and was sometimes referred to by that name, but was called Barrington Rd. on the original Tower Lakes Estates plats in the 1920's. In 1935, a new Wauconda-Barrington Rd. was built north from Rt. 22, passing between Honey Lake and Grassy Lake and joining the old road at Indian Trail Rd. near the current Tower Lakes Village Office, and this stretch was designated part of IL Rt. 59. Kelsey Rd. was extended 1 block east to meet the new road. The section that is now Gateway Dr. was still a shortcut across the triangle, and was then called Old Barrington Rd. for several years. Its junction with Kelsey was closed in the late 1940ís, and the new name of East Gateway Dr. was formalized in Feb. 1968.

The following is a summary of what we know about the origins of other street, park and place names, compiled from correspondence between former Village presidents, meeting minutes, old maps, aerial photos and other sources. If you have any corrections or additions, please contact the Village Office so we can continuously improve this historical record.

A-F    G-N    O-S    T-Z

bulletAbbott Place: Barsumian partner Alfred W. Bays was general counsel and later vice chairman of the board of Abbott Laboratories, president of the Abbott Foundation, and trustee of the Clara Abbott Trust (wife of Abbott Labs founder) which held the 1st mortgage on Tower Lakes Estates for a time during the depression. Road was platted in 1941.
bulletAbby Ct: named for Abby Groh, resident and daughter of developer Thomas Groh. Future street off Rt 59 in Glen Geary Brae subdivision. Not yet built as of 2002.
bulletAram Park: named for Nate & Shirley Aram, former residents of nearby 221 Oak St. Nate was a former TLIA secretary (1953-55). Two lots forming most of the park were given to TLIA by Barsumian in 1959. An additional lot to the west was acquired by TLIA in 1962 from Stanley & Mary Kain.
bulletBarclayís Woods: Originally an 8 lot subdivision on 15 acres between Country Club Estates and Rt 59. No information on origin of Barclay name. Platted by developer William McClayton and annexed into Village in 1992 as vacant land. Replatted by new developer Jack Lageschulte in 2002, under a revised annexation agreement. Planned Pebble Creek Dr extension through the subdivision was never constructed. Entire subdivision was purchased in 2012 by the Village of Tower Lakes and Cuba Township, who jointly own it and preserve it as a park with the help of the Barrington Area Conservation Trust and other contributors. The name of the park is pending.
bulletBarrington Oaks I subdivision: five lot subdivision on east side of Warwick Rd. Annexed into Village in 1989. Developed in 1990ís by Joe Farella. No oak trees.
bulletBarsumian Dr: named for Nazareth Barsumian, founder and developer of Tower Lakes Estates by his heirs. Street built in 1969 at time of West Hills addition. 
bullet Barsumian Park: named for Nazareth Barsumian, founder and Barsumian Park.jpg (113432 bytes) developer of Tower Lakes Estates. Park land of 2.5 acres donated to TLIA by Rose Barsumian in 1969 and dedicated Oct 17, 1970.
bulletBays Place and Bays Park: both named for Prof. Alfred W. Bays, Northwestern University law professor and Abbott Laboratories board member. He was chairman of the law department of the Northwestern University School of Commerce. See also Abbott Place. He assisted N. Barsumian in early development of the community. Park named 1927-9. Street named in 1941 when North Lake area was subdivided, but the street was not built until the 1950's.
bulletBlue Stem Ct: named after native prairie grasses theme by Fenview Estates developer Robert Friedman in 1978. 
bulletBridge Ln: originally West Tower Road. Re-named by Village in Dec 1967 for cross-lake bridge located near foot of the lane (and to avoid confusion with nearby West Tower Drive).
bulletCambridge Dr: named after Cambridge Univ. in England. One of a series of British names selected by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926, but unlike the other 7, it is not copied from Kenilworth, IL. The easternmost block was added sometime after 1950.
bulletCircle Dr: circled North Lake until 1966 or 67, when section across causeway was closed to vehicle traffic. Section across causeway was vacated by Village in 1973 and eventually given to TLIA. Circle Dr was platted in 1941, but not paved until at least 1950's.
bulletCole subdivision: 6 acres, including 3 lots on north side of Leon Dr plus farmhouse on Rt 59 (26612, 26588 & 26564 Leon & 25876 N Rt 59). Annexed into Village in 1991. Owner/residents at the time were Forrest & William Cole.
bulletCountry Club Estates subdivision: off Indian Trail Rd. Name selected by new developer John Tracy in 1975. 57 undeveloped acres annexed into Village of Tower Lakes in March 1970. Land was a farm owned by the Davlin family until 1950ís and was not part of the parcel they sold to Tower Lakes developers in the 1920ís. The west half (now Pebble Creek Dr) was planned in the 1950ís as Indian Trail subdivision, which had multiple owners, including a Mr Rein, but no streets or houses were built. In 1969 it was re-platted as Britwood Estates, named by developers Vernie Hill and Hans Liebing. The planned street names were different (see Pebble Creek, Medinah, Rolling Green & Stonehenge). The new developer in 1975 changed both the subdivision name (to Country Club Estates) and the street names.
bulletCovek's Crossing: small bridge added to south end of Toy Island in Coveks Crossing.jpg (91218 bytes) July 2000. Named in honor of George & Pat Covek & their children who occupy four homes in the Village. George served on the TLIA Board 1989-95. Pat has been long time tennis and grounds beautification committee chair. 
bulletCuba Township: Organized in 1850 as Troy Township, after Troy, New York, the previous home of several of the pioneers including the Hugh Davlin family. Upon finding out from the State that another Township had already taken the name Troy, it was re-named Cuba in 1851. This was in sympathy with an uprising about that time on the island of Cuba.
bulletCypress Pond: renamed in the 1970's after the stand of bald cypress there. Formerly called Hodekís Pond for Mary & James Hodek & descendents, who owned the adjacent house at 203 Roberts Rd until the 1980's. Once extended further south. Dredged with a dragline in 1977 and now measures 0.8 acres. Pond is within Gorden Lewis Park
bulletDavlinís Pond: 3.3 acres including channel. Widened from Mud Creek in about 1960 by owner Charlie E. Davlin, a former mayor of Wauconda. Donated to TLIA by Marian Hills subdivision developer George Klupar (Davlin's brother-in-law) at time of annexation in 1971. Davlin was a great-grandson of Hugh Davlin, one of the first settlers. His family built one of the oldest houses (1865-9) still standing in Tower Lakes, and owned much of the land that is now Tower Lakes. Pond was dredged again in summer of 1975.
bulletDevilís Island: no information on name. N. Barsumian said in his autobiography that he once wanted a memorial to Abbott labs founder Dr. & Mrs Wallace Abbott on this island in recognition of their financial assistance. Instead, Devil's Island was preserved in its natural state. It was given to TLIA by Barsumians in 1959, along with south half of main lake.
bulletDevonshire Rd: one of 7 street names copied by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926 from streets in Kenilworth, IL, which in turn were named after characters or places in Sir Walter Scott's novel Kenilworth, or places related to the author. 
bulletDuck Island: originally called Oak Island in the 1920's, then Roslyn Island in 1933, then Reading Island and Spring Island in the late 1930's. The latter because there was an artesian spring or well there. Was also called Turtle Island for some period between 1940-1960. Originally connected to mainland by a narrow strip of land which was removed in the 1920's and then by a rustic log foot bridge in the 1930's which was removed between 1939-1948. It was deeded to TLIA by N. Barsumian in 1938 along with the north half of the main lake.
bulletEast Gateway Dr: name comes from being main east side entry road. Formerly part of Wauconda - Barrington Rd, then Old Barrington Rd until 1967. Originally connected south to Kelsey Rd. See Rt 59 description above.
bulletEast Lake Shore Dr: East, North and West Lake Shore Drives, along with South Hills Dr, were all originally just Lake Shore Drive. East Lake Shore Dr from Roberts Rd to Melrose Dr was originally Melrose Dr extension. A Village road committee renamed several streets in late 1967 & 68 partly at the request of the Post Office and partly to reduce confusion. However, some of the new names had been in use already since before 1965. At that time, Lake Shore Dr was divided into 4 distinct separate streets: East, North and West Lake Shore Drives and South Hills Dr. The block of road from Roberts Rd to NLSD was changed from North Ave to WLSD. The N-S leg of Melrose Dr was changed/added to East Lake Shore Dr in Jan 1968. The E-W portion of ELSD had been called South Lake Shore Dr for a short time in the 1960's. When it became consolidated with the rest of East Lake Shore Dr in 1968, addresses in this section were renumbered to avoid duplicating blocks already used on the north end. However, only the first digits were changed, leading to the unique situation of house numbers progressing in reverse order of blocks in this section of ELSD.
bulletEast Tower Drive: named in 1925-6 for the development and the 1920ís steel tower, once located atop Tower Hill, near corner of Summit Dr and Scenic Dr. East Tower Dr is not connected to West Tower Dr, which runs perpendicular and on the opposite side of the lake, but both were called just Tower Dr until Dec 1967. This was an obvious point of confusion which was one of the drivers for the effort to change several street names at that time.
bulletEdward Ln: named for Edward Barsumian, son of founder Nazareth. Built in 1969 by Howard McKee, successor trustee of N. Barsumian estate and Chairman of Wauconda National Bank, who developed the lots on this loop road.
bulletEssex Place: one of 7 street names copied by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926 from streets in Kenilworth, IL, which in turn were named after characters or places in Sir Walter Scott's novel Kenilworth, or places related to the author.
bulletEsther Dr: originally North Dr on 1941 plat. Renamed by Village in Dec 1967 for Esther Hussissian, wife of developer Khoren Hussissian. The two planned blocks west of Abbott Pl were never built.
bulletFenview Dr: named for proximity to Wagner Fen by then Fenview Estates developer Robert Friedman in 1978.
bulletFenview Estates subdivision: off Kelsey Rd. Includes 3 lots on Rose Terrace Ct. See Fenview Dr. Former Ray E. Durham Jr farm. Annexed into Village of Tower Lakes as undeveloped land in Sept 1974. A 45 lot subdivision to be called Durham Woods was proposed in 1977 but did not proceed. Platted as a 36 lot subdivision in 1978/9 by developer Robert Friedman. Further developed in mid 1980ís by John Tracy. The Durham barns, caretaker's house and 6 bedroom farmhouse, last occupied by Dr & Mrs William Holmes, were torn down in the 1970's.

 ^Back to top

bulletGlen Geary Brae subdivision: four lot subdivision off Rt 59 north of Roberts Rd. Developed by Thomas Groh. Name chosen by Tom Groh, refers to a type of Scottish hat. Annexed into Village in March 1996 as undeveloped except for 1 existing house. Includes future Abby Court.
bulletHarriet W. Graham Park: named for 1st TLIA president (1931-32), andGraham Park.jpg (247178 bytes) original resident of 302 Devonshire Rd. Her husband James was also TLIA president 1935-8. The park occupied lots 1-3 and 1/2 of lot 4 in Block 16 when it was donated by Barsumian to TLIA in 1938. Rose Barsumian added other 1/2 of lot 4 and lot 5 in 1967. Includes Toy Island.
bulletKhoren L. Hussissian Park: named for Khoren L. Hussissian who assisted N. Barsumian Hussissian Park.jpg (189380 bytes) in development of community from the 1940's onward and continued after Nazarethís death. He was on the TLIA Board, representing the Barsumian's interests, from 1956-86. He was also the Director of the Tower Lakes Foundation, the charitable organization started by N. Barsumian, and developed the land left to the foundation by Mr Barsumian. The park is a soccer/baseball field. It was dug out and refilled with lake dredging material in 1966. Park name dedicated on July 4, 1977.
bulletIndian Grass Ct: named after native prairie grasses theme by Fenview Estates developer Robert Friedman in 1978.
bulletIndian Trail Rd: was an actual old Indian trail used by Indians making their way to hunting grounds near the Fox River. Shown as a road on 1861 map, but it is uncertain when the name was given. It was also named Givens Rd in the 1930's and Tower Lakes Rd around 1940-41, but name soon reverted to Indian Trail Rd. Junction with Barrington Rd was called Davlinís Corners in the 1800ís.
bulletGordon Iversen Park: named in 1993 for former TLIA president (1982-92). Iversen Park.jpg (162172 bytes) Parcel was purchased by TLIA from Nevens family in 1992 and later developed as a children's playground.
bulletKelsey Rd: (also called Lake County Rt V49) named in the 1930's for State Rep & State Hwy Commissioner Harold Kelsey, whose family owned a farm near the intersection with Rt 22 from the 1850's to 1970ís. Section north of todayís junction with Old Barrington Rd was called Barrington-Wauconda Rd until 1935 (see Rt 59 story above).
bulletKuskowski's Pathway: bike path and bridge along Roberts Rd between North Lake Shore Dr & East Lake Shore Dr. Project promoted by Village President Len Kuskowski and built in 2005 with County funds, to improve safety for pedestrians and bikers going between east and west sides of lake. Formally named in honor of President Kuskowski after his death in 2006. 
bulletLeon Dr: named for Leon Hussissian, grandson of developer Khoren L. (Leon?) Hussissian. Originally called Park Dr in 1968-70, and it ended at 598 (3rd lot). Name changed to Leon Dr on 1970 Marian Hills plat, though the name Park Dr continued to be used until road was extended east through Marian Hills subdivision in about 1977.
bulletGorden D. Lewis Park: named after long time resident and TLIA legal & groundsLewis Park.jpg (77893 bytes) committee member active in reforestation. Six lots containing pond were given to TLIA by the Barsumians in 1959. Three additional surrounding lots, for a total of 9, were donated to TLIA by K. Hussissian in 1979. Includes Cypress Pond.
bulletLathan's Landing: TLIA boat launch off Circle Drive named after Dick Lathan, TLIA Board member and Grounds Committee Chairman 2000-2004.
bulletLewis Gazebo: named in memory of Lindy Lewis, wife of Bob LewisLewis Gazebo.jpg (116077 bytes) (no relation to Gorden D. Lewis) who donated the building and property to TLIA in Oct. 1998.
bulletMarian Ct: named for Marian Davlin Klupar, wife of developer George Klupar and sister of Charles E. Davlin who excavated the adjacent pond. Platted in 1971, constructed between 1978-80.
bulletMarian Hills subdivision: 12 lot subdivision along Leon Dr and east side of Marian Ct. Developed in 1970ís by George & Marian Klupar. Vacant land annexed into Village in July 1971, except 4 lots on north side of Leon Dr (see Cole subdivision). Land was owned by William Brooks in the 1880's, then his son-in-law Wm. Toynton, then by Gus Sick (not Zick) between WWI & II, then Cashmore in 1950ís, then Charles E. Davlin in 1960s, then his sister and brother-in-law the Klupars. Marian Davlin Klupar was the schoolgirl author of the 1918 history from the Davlin School.
bulletMedinah Ln: originally named Meadowmak Ct on 1969 Britwood Estates plat. Re-named Medinah Ln after Chicago area golf club by Country Club Estates developer John Tracy in 1975.
bulletMelrose Dr: Named after Melrose, Scotland, home of Sir Walter Scott. One of 7 street names copied by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926 from streets in Kenilworth, IL, which in turn were named after characters or places in Sir Walter Scott's novel 'Kenilworth', or places related to the author. Formerly included the north leg of East Lake Shore Dr until 1968.
bulletMud Creek: early name for the creek that flows through Davlinís Pond and was dammed to form the main lake. Flows into the Fox River near the mouth of Flint Creek, just west of Tower Lakes. Not named on maps in late 20th century. Timber Lake, upstream of Tower Lake, was also formed by damming Mud Creek.
bulletMurray Rd and Murray Park: road named in 1925 for the Murray family. John Murray arrived in 1843 or 44 and bought 80 acres from the US government in 1845. His oldest son Dennis Murray, a veteran of the Civil War, expanded the farm to 144 acres. Dennis' youngest son Ray Murray owned the farm, which occupied the area of West Hills, South Hills and the dam area, when it was sold to Paul Rader in 1925. The last of at least two Murray homes was just below the present main dam site and was torn down in the 1930's. Murray Road was the only street in Tower Lakes paved with bricks. The bricks were in use as recently as the 1970's. Murray Park was created with the TLP subdivision in 1924-25, but not named. In the 1930's it was part of Bobrytzke Park, later called Tower Park, which included the nearby shoreline. It was donated to TLIA in 1938 by N. Barsumian. The name Murray Park came into use in 19??
bulletNodding Flower Ct: named after native prairie grasses theme by Fenview Estates developer Robert Friedman in 1978.
bulletNorth Lake: 7.4 acre lake named for location relative to main lake. Also called North Tower Lake. Created in late 1930's when a small earthen dam was constructed on former Brooks/Paddock farmland north of the main lake and north of Roberts Rd. The area around this lake (Tower Lakes Estates Unit No. 2) was platted for subdivision in 1941, though by 1960 only one or two houses had been constructed. The lake and adjacent pond and shore lines were donated to TLIA by the Barsumians in 1960.
bulletNorth Lake Shore Drive: Most of East, North and West Lake Shore Drives, along with South Hills Dr, were all originally just Lake Shore Dr. A Village road committee renamed several streets in late 1967 & 68 partly at the request of the Post Office and partly to reduce confusion. However, some new names had been in use already since before 1965. At that time, Lake Shore Dr was divided into 4 distinct separate streets: East, North and West Lake Shore Drives and South Hills Dr. 

^Back to top

bulletOak St: named in 1925, presumably for the stand of oak trees there.
bulletOxford Rd: one of 7 streets copied by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926 from street names in Kenilworth, IL, which in turn were named after characters or places in Sir Walter Scott's novel Kenilworth, or places related to the author. The block past the current tennis courts was not constructed until the 1940's or later. Oxford originally connected to Roberts Rd until after 1950. The north block near Roberts was never paved, and eventually was closed in the 50's or 60's. A portion of the block was officially vacated by the Village in 1979.
bulletPaddock Lane: named in 1925 for the William & Florence Paddock family who owned a 120 acre farm in the northwest part of the present town. Florence Paddock was the daughter of pioneer minister James L. Brooks, who bought the farm in 1857 from Curtis Rawley. It occupied the area of North Lake, North Lake Shore Dr and NW portion of the future main lake. The farmhouse was on the north side of Roberts Rd. William and Florence worked the farm for her father and eventually acquired it. Their son, Leslie Brooks Paddock, became editor of the Barrington Review in 1919 at the age of 29. They sold 70 acres of the farm in 1924 to Myron Detrick & William E. Brooks (son of the William Brooks who owned the adjacent farm in 1880's - see Marian Hills). They sold the remainder to Paul Rader in 1925, but kept a small parcel on the south side of Roberts Rd between Paddock Ln and West Lake Shore Dr and built a new home for their retirement. Paddock Lane is actually two parallel streets a few feet apart. Old Paddock Lane was an original 1925 street in Tower Lake Park. The new street was built alongside in 1969 with the West Hills addition.
bulletPebble Creek Dr: no information on name. Western 2/3 was 1st platted before 1960 and was planned to have a second outlet to Indian Trail near todayís midpoint. Named Morningdale Dr on 1969 Britwood Estates plat. Renamed by developer John Tracy in 1975. Was built in late 1970ís when planned Indian Trail subdivision was absorbed by Country Club Estates. An extension was platted into Barclay's Woods subdivision in 2002-2003, but never built.
bulletPlay Island: originally called Toyland on 1926 Tower Lakes Estates subdivision plat through the early 1940ís. There is a recorded reference to it being "Play Is" in 1947, though the 1951 brochure still called it Toyland. A log bridge from the mainland, built in the 1920's, was replaced in 1933 & again in 1993. The island has always contained a beach. It was deeded to TLIA by Barsumian in 1938 along with the north half of the main lake. 
bulletRaleigh Place: Named after Sir Walter Raleigh. One of 7 street names copied by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926 from streets in Kenilworth, IL, which in turn were named after characters or places in Sir Walter Scott's novel Kenilworth, or places related to the author.
bulletRest Island: named in 1920's by (N. Barsumian?). Reserved for mostly passive use, though since electric power was installed in 2004 it has become the center of the annual Fourth of July festival and other parties. Had a log pagoda/gazebo from 1920's to 1950. A white wooden pergola existed in the 1960's and 70's. In the 1940's to 60's there was a boat house on the shore near the suspension bridge to hold a weed cutting barge. The suspension bridge from Play Island was built in the 1920's with log supports. A replacement suspension bridge with concrete supports was finished in 1935. There was a rustic log bridge from the Admin building at 220 ELSD to the north end of Rest Island in the 1920's until the early 1930's. There is no longer a bridge at that point. A new wood bridge to the mainland was added in 1935 on the east side which was replaced with a steel one in 1996 (see Wisniewski Bridge). A stone drinking fountain was dedicated to Nazareth Barsumian in Nov. 1957. A mini-plaza called Storyteller's Circle was added in 1998 in memory of former resident Megan O'Connell. The island was deeded to TLIA by N. Barsumian in 1938.
bulletRoberts Rd: (also called Lake County Rt V45) named for Col. John Roberts, of Roberts & Oakes Packers, who owned a 400 acre estate just northwest of the present Village boundary in the 1920ís & 30ís. The road appears (unnamed) on maps as early as 1861 & 1877. It was called River Rd in the 1920's and 30's from Rt 59 to the present N-S River Rd junction. Name changed to Roberts Rd sometime before 1938. The road jogged north up the present West Dr before a straightening project in the early 1940's took that "kink" out, bypassing West Dr.
bulletRobin Rd: name chosen by Rose Barsumian/ K. Hussissian/ H. McKee in 1969 with West Hills addition, streets with bird names.
bulletRolling Green Dr: originally named Blythewood Ct on 1969 Britwood Estates plat. Renamed Rolling Green Dr after area golf club by Country Club Estates developer John Tracy in 1975.
bullet Roseís Park: named for Rose Barsumian, wife of Nazareth. Land for Rose's Park Roses Park.jpg (159973 bytes)near North Lake was donated to TLIA in 1969 by Rose Barsumian. Later developed as a children's playground. Pond in Roseís Park is unnamed, but is sometimes called Bay's Pond. It was created later than North Lake, sometime between 1939-41. 
bulletRose Terrace, Rose Terrace Ct: both named for Rose Barsumian. Rose Terrace was platted & named in 1959 as part of the South hills subdivision. The court was added at the end of Rose Terrace in the 1970's with the creation of Fenview Estates. The 3 houses on it are part of the Fenview Estates Homeowner's Association, not TLIA. 
bulletRoslyn Place: one of 7 street names copied by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926 from streets in Kenilworth, IL. However, unlike the others, the name does not appear to be related to Sir Walter Scott or his novel Kenilworth, according to the Kenilworth Historical Society.
bulletScenic Dr: named by N. Barsumian in 1941 for long view across Fox River valley.
bulletSnake Island: no information on name. It was given to TLIA by Barsumians in 1959, along with south half of main lake.
bulletSouth Dr: road added when South Hills subdivision was platted at the south end of the lake. When named, it was the southernmost street in Tower Lakes, but since the annexation and development of Fenview Estates subdivision, it no longer is.
bulletSouth Hills Dr: named as the main artery in South Hills subdivision which was built at the south end of the main lake. South Hills Dr was called Lake Shore Dr on original plat. Officially renamed by Village in Dec 1967 when the several disconnected Lake Shore Drives were renamed, but the name change had been in use since before 1965.
bulletSouth Hills subdivision: at south end of the main lake, named for location and relatively high ground. Developed by N. Barsumian, and later Khoren Hussissian, as Unit No. 4 of Tower Lakes Estates in 1959-1980's. Four lots added at end of South Dr in 1985. Excludes the 3 lots at end of Rose Terrace Ct., which are part of Fenview Estates subdivision.
bulletStonehenge Ln: originally named Morningdale Dr on 1969 Britwood Estates plat. Re-named Stonehenge Ln after area golf club by Country Club Estates developer John Tracy in 1975.
bulletSummit Dr: named on 1941 plat for proximity to Tower Hill, high point of community. The block from WLSD to intersection with Oak St and Bridge Lane was originally called Tower Lane in 1925. Tower Ln changed to Summit Dr extension by Village in Dec 1967.
 

^Back to top 

 

bulletTerrace Dr: originally named Lake Shore Terrace by N. Barsumian in 1926. Changed by Village road committee to Terrace Drive in Dec 1967.
bulletTimber Ct: named by Ken McAloon, developer of 1980's Tower Trails subdivision, possibly for proximity to Timber Lake area.
bulletTomahawk Ln: no information on name. Was originally named East Drive in 1941. Officially renamed by Village in Dec 1967, but name change had been in use since before 1965.
bulletTower Lakes, Tower Lakes Estates, Tower Lake Park: all named for two elements constructed in the 1920ís by the first development group Ė the 68 ft steel observation tower and the lakes. Tower Lake Park (most of west side) was planned and promoted in 1924 and platted in May 1925 by then owner Myron H. Detrick. Tower Lakes Estates Unit No. 1 (east side) was platted in 1926. Together they were the original planned subdivisions developed 1926-70 by Nazareth Barsumian and successors. Tower Lakes Estates Unit No. 2 (North Lake) and Unit No. 3 (Scenic Dr, Summit Dr & adjacent part of WLSD) were platted in 1941. Tower Lakes Estates Unit No. 4 (South Hills) was platted in 1959. The date of construction of the dams is uncertain. A Lake County Surface Water Resource report says a "slough/pothole" was dammed and dredged in 1915 in the area. Sloughs and potholes being common names at that time for open waters amid marsh lands. Charles E. Davlin, who was born in 1902, reported helping his father Vincent build a dam to create the lake. Wauconda real estate partners William E. Brooks and Myron H. Detrick claimed credit for conceiving the idea of creating the lake. The main lake did exist prior to the sale of the surrounding farms in 1924 & 1925, according to the subdivision plats. The main lake is now 78 acres including 3.3 acres in Davlin's Pond and it's channel and 2.7 acres of land on 6 islands.
bulletTower Trails subdivision: 8 acre, four lot subdivision around Timber Ct. Name probably selected to reflect proximity to Tower Lake and Indian Trail Rd. Annexed to Village of Tower Lakes in Nov 1971 as vacant land. Developed by Ken McAloon in late 1980's, with lot nearest Rt 59 being donated for open space. That lot is presently owned by the State of IL Dept. of Transportation (IDOT).
bulletToy Island: created in winter of 1934-35 by dredging a channel along Lake Shore Dr through lots 1-3 of Block 16, also known as Harriet W. Graham Park. It was referred to as Canoe Island in 1947-48. Assume name "Toy" was resurrected in 1950's to reflect original name of nearby Play Is. A wood bridge with concrete footings was built to it in 1948. A second bridge was added at the south end in 2000 and named Covek's Crossing, after the Covek families. 
bulletWagner Fen Nature Preserve:  named for Cyril C. Wagner, former TLIA president (1964-66) and first Village president (1966-79) and first BACOG president. Wagner Fen is an approx 128 acre wetlands area below the dam, drained by Mud Creek. A fen is a special kind of wetland, whose water is alkaline. Wagner Fen is said to be perhaps the best example of a fen in Lake County. About 1/3 of the fen lies within the Village of Tower Lakes. 13 acres of this portion is owned by TLIA, donated to them by the Barsumian family & estate in 1969. Over 1/2 of the fen lies within the Village of Lake Barrington and the remaining 15% is unincorporated. Citizens For Conservation owns 23 acres of the fen in Tower Lakes and 18 more in Lake Barrington. CFC's Tower Lakes acreage was given to them by the Village in 1980 after the Fenview Estates development was approved. 54 acres in Lake Barrington and 8 acres in unincorporated Lake County are within the Lake County Forest Preserve's GrassyWagner Fen Sign.JPG (558269 bytes) Lake/Flint Creek Preserve. The remainder is owned by individuals. The entire fen was named in memory of Cy Wagner in 1980 by Citizens For Conservation at the request of the Village of Tower Lakes. Cy Wagner was also honored posthumously as 1980 Barrington Area Citizen of the Year by the Barrington Area Development Council. The portions owned by CFC and TLIA were dedicated an Illinois Nature Preserve in 1994. The LCFPD's portion was also dedicated an Illinois Nature Preserve in 2001, and a sign was erected on River Rd. by the LCFPD designating the area Wagner Fen Nature Preserve. 
bulletCy Wagner Park:  Wagner Park is the unofficial name for the East Lake Shore DrWagner Park.jpg (149893 bytes) boat landing area. Cyril C. Wagner, former TLIA president and first Village President, helped expand this park space, which was next to his home at 318 East Lake Shore Dr, in 1964 when he led TLIA's purchase of a building lot there. A plaque was placed in his memory there after his death in 1979. 
bulletWarwick Rd: one of 7 street names copied by N. Barsumian or his partners in 1926 from streets in Kenilworth, IL, which in turn were named after characters or places in Sir Walter Scott's novel Kenilworth, or places related to the author. Warwickshire is the location of Kenilworth Castle. The block north of Melrose was not added until sometime after 1950. 
bulletWest Dr: part of River Rd (later called Roberts Rd) until early 1940's, then called Old Roberts Rd after Roberts was straightened. West leg connection to Roberts was closed by 1960. Was re-named West Dr in 1941 when Tower Lakes Estates Unit No. 2 was platted, because it formed the western boundary of the development at that time, however, the name Old Roberts Rd continued in use on signs until the 1970's. A planned northerly extension up to present Esther Dr was never built. Was briefly connected to Circle Dr by a short unpaved lane in the 1960's, which was vacated in 1981.
bulletWest Hills subdivision: 36 lots on 93 acres along Barsumian Dr, Robin Rd, Wren Rd and west end of WLSD (former Oriole Rd). Named for location relative to Tower Lake and rolling terrain. Developed by Rose Barsumian, Khoren Hussissian & Howard McKee in 1969 on much larger lots (approx 2 acres+) than Tower Lakes Estates.
bulletWest Lake Shore Drive: East, North and West Lake Shore Drives, along with South Hills Dr, were all originally just Lake Shore Dr. A Village road committee renamed several streets in late 1967 & 68 partly at the request of the Post Office and partly to reduce confusion. However, some of the new names had been in use already since before 1965. At that time, Lake Shore Dr was divided into 4 distinct separate streets: East, North and West Lake Shore Drives and South Hills Dr. The block of road from Roberts Rd to NLSD was changed from North Ave to WLSD.  A few years later in 1973 the westernmost leg of WLSD was renamed from Oriole Rd (1969-73) to West Lake Shore Dr.
bulletWest Tower Drive: named in 1925-6 for the development and the 1920ís steel tower, once located atop Tower Hill, near corner of Summit Dr and Scenic Dr. Section of West Tower from Summit Dr to WLSD was added in 1941 and called Causeway Rd from 1941 until late 1960's, when Village combined them. 1/2 block extension below WLSD was also closed. West Tower Dr is not connected to East Tower Dr, which runs perpendicular and on the opposite side of the lake, but both were called just Tower Dr until Dec 1967.
bulletWisniewski Bridge: Bridge from mainland to Rest Island named in 1996 for GregWisniewski Bridge.jpg (197153 bytes) Wisniewski, former TLIA president (1992-96), who was instrumental in construction of new steel bridges to Play and Rest Islands in 1993 and 1996. The original wooden mainland to Rest Island bridge at this location was built in 1935 and torn down in 1996. There was a log bridge to the north end of Rest Island in the 1920's until the early 1930's. 
bulletWren Rd: name chosen by Rose Barsumian/ Hussissian/ McKee in 1969 with West Hills addition, streets with bird names.
bulletZupancic Park: named in memory of Mrs. Claudia Zupancic. The Larry Zupancic family, formerly of adjacent 122 Rose Terrace Ct, donated the lot to TLIA in 1991.

^Back to top

Gone, But Not (Totally) Forgotten

 
bulletBobrytzke Park: Former (1930's) name for Murray Park and nearby shoreline area. Was also briefly called Tower Park. Named by N. Barsumian in gratitude to former Cook County Commissioner (1934-195?) Frank Bobrytzke, the Chairman of Chicago's Milwaukee Ave. National Bank, who held the mortgage on much of Tower Lakes Estates from 1927 to ~1930. He was the original owner of 804 Murray Rd, which was his summer home. He purchased several lots from D&B in 1925, before Barsumian's development started. Frank was TLIA VP (1931-32) and the 2nd TLIA president (1932-34). He was also president of National Milk Co, and a real estate firm. 
bulletBlythewood Ct: Now called Rolling Green Drive.
bulletBritwood Estates: Now called Country Club Estates.
bulletCanoe Island: Now called Toy Island.
bulletCauseway Rd: Now part of West Tower Drive, from Robin to West Lake Shore Dr.
bulletDavlin's Corners: Intersection of Indian Trail Rd and Rt 59 (Barrington Rd). Near Davlin farmhouse. Site of current Village Office. Former location of Davlin School (1857-1947), Walker's Blacksmith Shop (1860's), Tea House & Texaco? filling station (1930's), and Real Estate office of Tower Lakes/ Gooch/ Baird & Warner (1930's-1995).
bulletEast Dr: Now called Tomahawk Lane.
bulletGivens Rd: Now called Indian Trail Road.
bulletHodek's Pond: Now called Cypress Pond.
bulletLake Shore Dr: Former name for South Hills Dr, North Lake Shore Dr and most of East Lake Shore Dr & West Lake Shore Dr. & the defunct South Lake Shore Dr.
bulletLake Shore Terrace: Now called Terrace Dr.
bulletMeadowmak Ct: Now called Medinah Lane.
bulletMorningdale Drive: Now called Pebble Creek Dr and Stonehenge Lane.
bulletNorth Ave: Now northernmost block of West Lake Shore Drive
bulletNorth Dr: Now called Esther Drive.
bulletOak Island: Now called Duck Island.
bulletOld Barrington Rd: Now called East Gateway Drive.
bulletOld Roberts Rd: Now called West Drive.
bulletOriole Rd: Now west end of West Lake Shore Drive.
bulletPark Dr: Now part of Leon Drive.
bulletReading Island: Now called Duck Island.
bulletRiver Rd: Now called Roberts Road.
bulletRoslyn Island: Now called Duck Island.
bulletSouth Lake Shore Dr: Used in the 1960's for what is now the eastern stretch of East Lake Shore Dr
bulletSpring Island: Now called Duck Island.
bulletTower Hill: Area around 250 Scenic Dr. Former residence of Nazareth & Rose Barsumian.
bulletTower Lakes Rd: Now called Indian Trail Road.
bulletTower Lane: Now northernmost block of Summit Drive.
bulletTower Park: Former name for Murray Park and nearby shoreline area. 
bulletWest Tower Road: Now called Bridge Lane.
bulletToyland: Now called Play Island.
bulletTurtle Island: Now called Duck Island.

^Back to top

Back to History of Tower Lakes main page.

 

 

 

Copyright 1999-2013 Village of Tower Lakes. All rights reserved. Revised Sept 22, 2013.
This is the only website officially authorized by the Village of Tower Lakes. The information published herein was valid at the time of publication unless otherwise noted. The Village of Tower Lakes reserves the right to make changes and improvements at any time and without notice, and assumes no liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of errors, omissions or discrepancies.